04 August 2020

Cut The Cord

Today marks the first day in over 20 years that I do not have some sort of paid subscription to TV.

I am no longer paying Dish Network for their services.

The equipment was failing and they were disinterested in seeing that it was repaired or replaced without a substantial increase in cost through signing a new contract, despite my paying extra to "insure" the equipment against such failures.

The constant dropping of channels while they squabbled with content providers over the price was also getting old.

The NHL joining the asinine trend of dancing monkeys kneeling for The National Anthem was the final straw.

You can't subscribe to cable or satellite without some of your fees subsidizing professional sports, so the only way to stop paying for these asses is to stop having subscription TV.

Done and done.

Now we see what we can get from a Roku or similar without paying for more than the box.

4 comments:

  1. We did the same yesterday. I'm hoping to find an affordable device with good features - including an actual LAN port.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did that when we moved to Seguin, TX about six years ago and don't miss it a bit.
    The wife on the other hand is overusing You tube to get her fixes.

    I was looking at T-mobile for a new server because Verizon kinda sux when they e-mail my next month bill three days after I paid the last bill..........
    But... T-mobile has a Vets discount and an over 55 (IIRR) discount that has netflix and something else I don't care about as an add-on to their phone/data service.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While giving Jeff Bezos money causes some disquiet between Prime, Netflix, PBS,and a single NBC sports subscription I get all the TV I want to watch while giving nothing to professional sports ball or CNN. I ditched cable in 2018 and haven't really missed it. Roku boxes or sticks are cheap and generally reliable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just switched from YouTube TV over to what they call "Hulu + Live TV." The channel lineups are basically the same, except that YouTube just added some channels and raised the price $10/month. It's just more channels to pay for that I don't watch and wouldn't watch if they paid me $10/month.

    I still grumble about paying for channels and there's never anything on I want to watch, but it's better to pay half the price of cable. And half price of what I paid the cable company 2-1/2 years ago so maybe a third or a quarter of the price of cable.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: Sign your work. Try this link for an explanation: https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2023/04/lots-of-new-readers.html

Anonymous comments must pass a higher bar than others. Repeat offenders must pass an even higher bar.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.