26 August 2020

It's Not All I Do

I have been reading gunwriters for as long as I've been fascinated with firearms.

I have been reading carwriters for about as long.

Both have a fascination with spending my money.

Training, classes, accessories, upgrade and replace everything.

It hit me today.

They don't do anything else.

At least they don't spend money on anything else.

Not only that, they get some of it for free or are actually paid to do it thanks to their job writing about it.

It's how they can attend multiple, expensive training seminars every year.

It's how their gun can swing with the winds of popularity.

It's how they can embrace the latest and greatest accessories which make everything all better.

Gun stuff is all they do.

It's not wrong, but it warps their perspective.  I strongly suspect that even without the paying gig writing about it, they'd still spend all their money on it.

Honestly, who else would strive to write about guns, and whom else would a magazine hire?

The thing is...

I do other things that I spend my money on than firearms and training.

Wanna know what people like me have noticed?

The cycle.

X is best, buy X because Y.

Y is wrong!  Buy Z because A.

A is wrong!  Buy R because K.

K is wrong and Y was right all along...

Lather.  Rinse.  Repeat.

Over and over.

5 comments:

  1. The "Para LDA Gun Blog 45" immediately come to mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got one of those, 'cuz carrying a .45-70 is frowned upon in this state.

      Was fine in the UP...

      Delete
    2. Why would they frown on a .45-70? I knew someone who had a Derringer in that. My .45 Colt/.410 American Derringer Model 4 is bad enough. Ask McThag about it... :-D

      Delete
  2. It is the way things are, the way it has always been. Funny how nobody rushes to give people like me anything for free. Of course, I couldn't write my way out of a wet paper sack, and certainly nobody would pay to read anything I wrote. Hell if I thought people would even read it for free I might blog, but I'm not nearly interesting enough.

    I'm a bad fan though, I don't spend nearly enough replacing perfectly good stuff I already have just because it isn't fashionable anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've gotten a couple of things for free to review.

      I wrote to the company and asked if they wanted me to review their product if they sent me an example.

      It's a lot of bother to solicit the companies to get stuff to try out.

      A couple of times ammo sellers have offered me free boolits. I fear that being honest might limit future opportunities, but at least I have my panache!

      Delete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.