03 August 2020

And Another Thing

I pulled the ejection handle on a friendship where the friend in question was getting increasingly liberal.

That was about 5 years ago.

I find it telling that I never explicitly said, "I'm done, don't talk to me any more," I just stopped initiating conversation.

Without me contacting them, they just stopped talking.

I walked away and they never bothered to see if I'd reconsider.

It makes you doubt your value, it does.

The increasingly liberal aspect is easy to explain.

Living in a liberal college town with zero experience outside liberal college towns will do that to you.  Especially when your dating poll is liberal college students.

Their lack of follow-up contact feels more like they created a situation where I'd finally give up and walk so they could say that they didn't boot me to the curb.

I've felt this way about liberal friends before.  I've a few in my wake.

It's not their fault, it's Thag who bailed.

I am, at present, without friends in Iowa, save one, because of that liberal college distortion and zero real-world experience.

7 comments:

  1. Iowa is a strange place. Especially Ames. It definitely has a liberal college town reality distortion field. Despite being born in Iowa and having spent the majority of my life there (albeit, my time here in Texas is catching up) I also have very few people from there who bother to reach out to me. The few contacts I have with people still stuck in Iowa is mostly only through FB. Without that I'd never hear from any of those people. And because I've pulled back from FB, it is few and far between that I hear from anyone through there either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was kinda surprised when I added up the years of where I've lived and discovered I've been in THIS HOUSE longer than I ever was in Ames.

      Kinda hard to think of oneself as an Iowan when you've been in Florida for 23 years continuously and only lived in Iowa for 14 intermittently.

      Delete
    2. I came to similar realizations. Albeit I lived in Iowa mostly for 33 years, I've lived longer in my current house (19 years) than I did in either Ames (13 years) or the Des Moines area (10 years). In just a few years I'll have been in this house longer than my total time in central Iowa. Iowa hasn't seemed like home in a long time. Once I finally managed to escape I really haven't wanted to look back.

      Delete
  2. Hey Angus;

    I have or had liberal friends, but when Trump got elected, the TDS got so bad I had to block them for my sanity, the endless shrieking of "Orangemanbad" got old. I get having a different opinion but trying to get my fired from my job was a bit much and I just got tired of fighting and arguing with them. It was sad that they couldn't just "agree to disagree" and leave it alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had to do that to my mom. She didn't try to fire me, but the last Christmas I spent down there it was non-stop harping at me for daring to support the current president (she just assumed I voted for Trump, because I defended him. Well, she wasn't wrong.)

      The last conversation I had with her I shut her up by telling her I wasn't a republican, but a Constitutionalist. And that at least Trump supported the Constitution, unlike her (insert foul words here) (insert name of previous president-occupant.)

      Delete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: Sign your work. Try this link for an explanation: https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2023/04/lots-of-new-readers.html

Anonymous comments must pass a higher bar than others. Repeat offenders must pass an even higher bar.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.