15 July 2021

Gaaaaaaay

YouTube is subjecting me to a lot of advertising for a show on Hulu with two guys frantically making out.

I am not objecting to the ad, or being subjected to the sexual mores of the homosexual male.

To be honest, gay people have been stuck watching the sex sells ads of straight people for a very long time.

What I am objecting to is the complete disappearance of ads aimed at me.

I am not a target demographic for anyone, despite being an actual or potential customer for what's being sold.

I feel like there's room in the ad space for an add aimed at the straight white guy every once and a while, even one who has a straight white wife and a couple of kids.

When was the last time you saw a mono-racial family in an ad that wasn't a minority family?

Also, have you noticed how often the token Asian in ads with a large group picture is in a wheelchair?

Some of this is bitter grapes.  Ads seldom affect my buying decision.

But I am worried that the exclusion of people like me from advertising is a subtle form of othering.

One never wants to be The Other.  NEVER!

Being The Other leads to bad places.

5 comments:

  1. I've just assumed that these companies don't want my business anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, been watching commercials and wishing I had the money to not spend on everyone who hates me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't want us, don't spend there. What gripes my old honky ass is that the family groupings are always salt-and-pepper teams. SRSLY? What percentage is THAT demographic? Bloody small judging from my experience in the real world. But it must be crammed down our throats by our self-styled "betters".

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's become the same over here on the UK. The advertising bears little or no resemblance to the demographics or the people I see in my everyday life. It seems impossible to even have a small party without at least one token variant.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.