20 July 2021

Impressions

The S&W 59 is the second oldest high-cap 9mm design I own.

The oldest is the oldest and that's the High Power.

Both designs have new-made magazines which add to the puissance with extra capacity than when they were first introduced.

Mec-Gar makes a 15 rounder for the High Power and a 17 rounder for 59 series Smiths.

It was testing those 17-rounders to see if they worked at all that gave me my first real shooting impression of the Model 59.

I like it!

The grip angle feels a little clunky and square in casual handling, but causes no issues in firing.  In learning the trigger and where it resets, I let off a couple of unintended shots.  You can't tell which ones on the target.

That tells me that the grip shape is working and that it is aiding me in keeping the pistol pointed at where I want to hit.

I was a bit surprised at the aluminum frame getting warm at the dust cover.  Not hot, but warm.

Aluminum transmits heat efficiently, so this shouldn't have been a shock.

In about 100 rounds fired I've had a single stoppage.  One failure to eject which was easily cleared.  Have to keep an eye on that.

But is it viable in the modern world?

It's a little heavier than a Glock or M&P9 with the same capacity.

The sights are slower, but precise.

I'm not sure.  You are not unarmed if you're carrying one.  It certainly appears to function correctly.  Next round of shooting, hopefully, will be with some modern hollow points; we'll see if it keeps its 1% malfunction rate up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.