12 July 2021

LED There Be Light!

The incandescent bulb in the Surefire M951 light was noticeably dimmer than the X300.

Whats to do?

LED upgrade!

Not cheap, but far cheaper than a completely new light.

Using the GPS Status app on my phone, I can measure for lux.

The X300 shows 21,000 lux at 6" and 1,319 lux at 8'.

The incandescent bulb gets 11,000 at 6" and 520 at 8'.

The LED upgrade does 33,000 lux at 6" and 1,374 at 8'.

That's a fair upgrade, I think!  I think it might be hard to get a better light for the $100 total I've got into it.

The upgrade throws a slightly larger circle than the X300 without much of a hot-spot in the center.  The X300 has a very hot spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.