10 December 2023

Transitioning From Roll To Role Playing

A pivotal point in my TTRPG experience was FuzzyGeff's brother when we were all in high school.

We asked an NPC in his AD&D world why we would want to take on the adventure and the NPC replied, "for the experience points!"

Even at that young age I found that a little too meta.

But it was a turning point, because I really was playing the character to get experience and advance in levels, but maintaining a thin veneer of role playing to justify my actions.

This expanded into Champions where who the character was mattered more when we were trying to replicate comic book heroes and not playing pieces on a board.

It led to us doing more of an amateur theater improv than strictly following the game rules.

Adopting role over roll.

We thought it was a lot more fun, actually.

We measured success in how well we adhered to our character's personality and background rather than how many experience points we gained or levels we attained.

LBB Traveller made that real easy, it's experience system was nearly non-existent.

GURPS made it even easier, because you could codify much of your characterization in the advantages, disadvantages and quirks.  To the point that I found it difficult to stay in character without those built in crutches.

It led to some conflicts.

But it was also rewarding.

The battle of the turkey was one such reward.

Another was being slain by a giant spider as I delivered a mortal blow to it while defending a helpless maiden.  I remember being thrilled that my character had died!  He'd died honorably, a hero's death.

Just playing the rules and a playing piece would not have given such a reward.

1 comment:

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.