03 April 2024

Mox Nix

It would seem they're remaking Romeo and Juliet as a movie again.  Nope, it's a stage production.

And they're casting a black woman as Juliet!

Meh.

I really only care if she can act and do the part justice.

Why am I blase about it?

Because I've seen Denzel Washington and Keanu Reeves cast as brothers in a film version of "Much Ado About Nothing" and it's excellent.

If we really want to get twisted about Shakespeare, we should demand that all female roles be portrayed by men; as they were when his plays were first performed.

My personal preference is still for the '68 Zeferelli version.

So far, I don't think I've seen Juliet portrayed as described in the play unless you count Gwyneth Paltrow in Shakespeare in Love.

But I am braced for being told that I will not like it because they've cast a black woman as Juliet.

What I demand is the entire Capulet clan be cast with black actors!  They're blood relatives, after all.


3 comments:

  1. I'm not planning on watching it, since to me the 1968 version is THE version. All others are heresy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The DiCaprio version is worth a watch.

      Delete
    2. It's pretty good. But, damn, Olivia Hussy...

      Delete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.