24 April 2024

What About After

In a world where .276 Pederson was adopted to replace .30-06; what happens after WW2?

Pederson is very similar to 7.62x51mm dimensionally, so the push to make it smaller might not be as strong as changing from .30-06 to 7.62 NATO was.

But we'd still have experienced 7.92x33 Kurz and seen the idea of assault rifles.

The British were working on .280 British during the immediate post-war time-frame and it might have gotten more traction as being a bit more compact than .276 Pederson.

In the real world, the UK even adopted it as the 7mm Mk.1Z for the EM-2 rifle (Rifle No.9 Mk.1).

I once made stats for an AR-10 in .280 Brit.  It could have been adopted as the M14...

Not sure where we'd have gone with a LMG since the M5 version of the MG.42 was working fine in .276 Pederson, but having ammo commonality is always nice.

7x43mm NATO has a ring to it...

1 comment:

  1. Yet another perfect example of one of the reasons I stop by regularly.

    You have a wide variety of interests, as do I.

    I'm not as knowledgable as you, so I get to learn new stuff, and gain new things to think about and put in my arsenal of obscure information.

    I never really got to play GURPS, but I can appreciate your posts about it.

    I don't usually ask questions, so I rarely go back and see if you've replied to anything I've written, sorry.

    As for this post specifically, and the What If Pederson post, they make me want to do some research on the .276 Pederson and compare it to the other mentioned cartridges. Which is part of why I like coming here.

    Thank you, Angus.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.