06 March 2020

I Don't Let It Get Me Down

While I'm casting aspersions at the vast majority of full-size pick-up owners...

I've noticed that when you do so, the small minority of the group feels like you're picking on them, even if you mention exceptions that places them outside the group you're bitching about.

I have been in that minority a couple of times.

The first time was when I rode motorcycles.  I wasn't a Biker, even though my father and I were in a club.  I rode to ride, and people made assumptions about that which, while true of many around me, weren't true of me.

I'm noticing it again with The Precious.

Corvette owners and Corvette clubs fall into a reliable template.

I don't match that template.

The first sign is putting near 170k miles on the thing as the first owner.  This is second or third owner kind of mileage!

I'm still the only owner of the car and it turns 13 this October.

I bought it because I wanted the power and handling, not for people to notice me.

I work on my own car.  It still galls me that I failed to get that tank vapor leak fixed without involving professionals.

I am willing to eliminate the originality of the car.  Because the car is sufficiently powerful for my meager driving skills, I've not made many mods, but I have made mods.

Most Corvette folks don't do this.  Most Corvette clubs exclude people who do.  They get so very focused on originality they forget they can enjoy the car.

People who hot-rod Vettes tend to congregate with other hot-rodders rather than Vette owners.

Even as big a pain as electronic fuel injection can be, I do NOT yearn for carburetors and points.

1 comment:

  1. One the few occasions that I've talked with Corvette purists, I ask them, "But how do you know that the lugnuts are on the same studs as when the car left the assembly line?"
    They get a far away look, start blinking slowly, and then I escape.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.