06 March 2020

Something You Don't See

If you hang onto any car long enough, it becomes cool.

ANY car.

Once it gets past a certain age, and gets that survivor cool factor, something stops being mentioned with regards to the value.

"How many miles on it?"

After a certain point, having those miles is a bragging right.

It means the thing was put to good use.

It was enjoyed.

Cars are not static works, they are dynamic art.

Better in motion than stationary.

So get in that seat and drive it!

Enjoy it.

Upgrade it so it stops breaking.

Learn to fix and upgrade it yourself to discover another world of satisfaction.

Remember, nothing kills a car faster than letting it sit.  It seems counter-intuitive, but it's so very true.

Go on The Power Tour.  The WHOLE Power Tour!

3 comments:

  1. I whole-heartedly agree! Drive the car, looking at it is boring.

    As you know from my previous comments, I own a Porsche 928.

    It's over 30 years old, and cost me less than A$12K - about US$8K. A five year old Subaru costs about the same here.

    I do all the maintenance on the car, and am (slowly) catching up on the back-log of stuff that SHOULD have been done, but wasn't, because it would have been too expensive to pay for a pro to do it, given the value of the car.

    I rebuilt the torque-tube, rear suspension, and all four brakes, then drove it 1000 kilometres (600 miles) on holiday. My wife tells me she expected it to break down or blow up, but I had no such fears - I KNEW what had been done, and that it was done right.

    There truly is a special satisfaction in getting your hands dirty, and making something better than it was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Outstanding! As long as there's parts, you should be able to drive 'em forever!

      Delete
    2. I'm pretty sure that as long as you're not concerned about points 3D metal printing is going to fix the parts availability issues for a lot of stuff.

      Delete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.