31 March 2020

Not Quite Re-Inacting

You might be able to tell from the photos that I collect militaria associated with the firearms I also accumulate.

The research is fun, but I also grok more fully the firearm when I can associate it with the gear that's supposed to accompany it.

It's why I have ALICE web gear and PASGT armor.

It's why I have my 1951/62 'Nam gear.

It's why I've started on Spanish-American War stuff.  Though I'm prolly not going to go so far as getting an actual M1892 or 1896 Carbine, I've been gathering an impression of a Rough Rider.

Living near Tampa will do that to a person.

But there's anachronisms that creep in.

The 1894 belt has a saber chape.  I don't think anyone, at least not the enlisted, in the First US Volunteer Cavalry carried their sabers.  It's not clear if they were even issued.

But I think that swords are cool and I want to get a saber hanger and saber to attach to my chape.

The saber hanger is an interesting piece of kit in and of itself.  The design dates back J.E.B Stuart and the shape of the clip and color of the leather are the only differentiation between models going from the 1859 patent (#25,684) until 1904.

I am also surprised at how many original Ames model 1840 (heavy) and 1860 (light) cavalry sabers are out there.  Some in shockingly good condition.  Reproductions vary from garbage to fighting quality.

Some of this is spurred by the world snippet that's been partially revealed by my gaming muse.

All the Ghost Dancing Indians disappeared, virtually over night, the campaign setting has found them in a geographically identical parallel Earth where Neanderthal Man was never supplanted and megafauna still exists.  Magic is well known.

I've long been known to buy the same stuff a character of mine has, just out of fun.  I'm thinking a mage-sergeant attached to a cavalry troop who's going through the gate...

I wonder where I can get custom colored stripes.  Purple would be the branch color of magery, with the branch color of the assigned unit as the border.  Purple with gold for cavalry, purple with blue for infantry, purple with red for artillery and so on.

3 comments:

  1. What? No Model 1895 Lee Navy? Or are you just strictly staying with Army guns?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twice an affordable Lee-Navy has tempted me. Twice I came to my senses because the ammo makes .30-40 seem abundant and cheap.

      Never mind the clips for a Lee-Navy are unobtanium and essential for reliable function.

      Delete
    2. Always wanted to get to a financial point that I could get all cartridge rifles (original or replica) from the Sharps on up. Always liked the look of the Krag-Jorgensen and the big single-shot Springfields.

      So, well, in my mind, I have a variety of Springfields of all varieties, an M1917, aforementioned Krag-J, a Lee, a US issued Mosin Nagant from the US's Siberia expedition, a Johnson rifle, etc.

      And, as you have done, all the appropriate web gear and uniforms. Can you imagine some WWII reenactor acting all hoity toity because he is wearing some very obscure uniform and equipment, and you show him a photo of yourself dressed as a USAEF Siberia troopie and watch him get all flummoxed and try to deny said USAEFS...

      Delete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.