20 December 2022

Poop

I crutched it along as long as I could.

Alas.

Something is wrong with Win7 on the Bootcamp Win7 drive of the dear old Mac Pro.

I suspect the boot sector of the hard drive has finally given up the ghost.

The Mac can still see the files, but it's never been able to write to NTFS...

Bootcamp prevented virtually every attempt to move Win7 to a newer drive.  Kludges like Bootcamp are like that.

I am tempted to put the XP drive back in the thing so I can play IL-2 again.

Ironically, except for the obsolete OSX 10.6.8, the Mac Pro runs as well as she did on the day I first fired her up.

That's important, I paid real money for some of the software and I still use it.

I just can't surf the internet with it.

Happily the laptop is happily running Ubuntu and is up to date.

I prefer the desktop experience when I'm watching a movie because I can have that on the left screen while I surf on the right.  Setting up the laptop nearby isn't the same at all.

5 comments:

  1. Could your Mac run a Linux VM as a web browser appliance? That would isolate web browsing from the underlying Mac OS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While that would protect against vulnerabilities in the web browser, I would be staggered to learn that everything else in an OSX installation was free of known security bugs after all these years of no patches.

      Delete
    2. The VM might be too slow to be very useful running a browser, especially if you don't have a lot of RAM on the Mac. Chrome and Firefox these days crawl unless you've got a recent (last 7 or 8 years) multicore processor and at least 8GB of RAM even on bare metal. Very oinky.

      Delete
    3. Thag have 30gb of RAM on the Mac Pro.

      Delete
  2. you can watch movies on https://tubitv.com in your computer... and if you use brave it's ad free.... panzer guy

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.