05 December 2022

The September That Never Ends

I find myself having the same arguments again and again in the few places outside the choir I still go.

There's a song lyric to go with it!

For the life of me, I cannot remember
What made us think that we were wise
And we'd never compromise?

Though the song isn't about being generally ignorant when you're young, it does touch on the idea that wisdom only comes with experience. 

Every year we get a new crop of people who've just been taught THE TRUTH™ in college and are on their first long break from college and are spreading THE TRUTH™ on social media...

Where they encounter us ancient grognards of the gun control debate where they get told that not only is THE TRUTH™ a lie, but we have references that prove it.

Things like the prefatory clause being essentially meaningless to the effect the 2nd Amendment is supposed to have on Government.

That no study has ever been made on the association of gun ownership and the size of male genitalia.  I looked that one up!

That gun ownership is a proxy for racism and genocide.

And so on.

I'm coming to believe that civics is no longer taught at any level and that English is being taught in such a way that even a lawyer is demanding clearer language to be able to say what they mean.

Spending a week on the meaning of 'is' probably warps your perspective.

Still the best part of these little fights is when they get exasperated and tell you that you're never going to change their mind and I get to reply, "I'm not trying to change YOUR mind.  I'm showing the people who are reading us debate what a fool you are and convincing THEM to change THEIR minds."

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.