07 December 2022

A2 Grip

The pistol grip on an AR is a polarizing issue.

It's something I've grappled with myself.

I have loved and hated EVERY grip I've tried over the years, starting when I joined the Army.

The A2 grip was clearly superior to the original M16 grip then.

I tried to emulate it with my Mini-14 with one of those slide-over rubber finger rest thingies too.

The ACE grip for my Daewoo wasn't fish nor fowl for grips and I liked it just fine.  It was sort of a meld of A1 and FAL.

But then I got into AR's, especially retro AR's.

But the modern guns were getting Magpul's MIAD grips.  That gives an option for the finger rest, or not.

Suddenly the A1 grip was best.  Then the MIAD...  Then the A2...

Until I finally settled on the A2 because it was cheap and it works and... that's about it.  Unless, of course, the gun is a clone which has a different grip.

YMMV!

Now, if the A2 don't work for you; by all means change it out and get something that does!

But don't think for a second that my (or your) grip choice is a moral crusade.

An interface's ergonomics are guaranteed to not work with some people even if they work for most people.

PS:

One thing steering my choice is using the M12 rack for added security.  Most grips with extra material that climbs the back of the lower won't fit.  The KP-15 lower doesn't and that bothers me some.

PPS:

7.62x51mm variants of the AR don't fit either, the extra receiver length interferes with the locking bar.

5 comments:

  1. I went through the Ergo Grip, A2, BCM Gunfighter Mod 1, A2 with the nub ground off, and finally settled on the Magpul MOE for my "main" rifle. None of the others besides the Magpul did it for me and the only reason I went through all of those is because I was trying to make it different from my other rifle. Alas, I should have just stuck to what I know works for me.

    PS- I also have a GWACS CAV-15 lower and don't see what the fuss about the grip is. Sure it's not the most ergonomically perfect thing but I don't find it uncomfortable or dificult to use. At least not enough to run out and get a KP-15. Different strokes and all that.

    -RF

    ReplyDelete
  2. there is no way i'd use another A2 grip on another AR. last build was a Magpul MOE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And there is nothing forcing you to! That's why I love the AR. You can personalize it to your heart's content!

      I can't use the MOE because it won't fit my M12 rack, but the MIAD with the slender parts will. My hand doesn't seem to care which is which and it was shooting the retro guns that trained my wrists to prefer the A2 over MIAD.

      You will not hear me demean your choice. It works for you, and that's all that matters!

      Delete
  3. Oh. Also used a TAPCO grip on my G-1 FAL build because of 922R. I would say as good as the Belgian equivalent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm using DSA's clone of the FN grip on my FAL. Also their clone of the FN humpback instead of the StG.58 stock it came with.

      Delete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.