28 December 2022

Speaking Of Alignment

The local Tire Plus did not cover itself in glory.

The manager told us their 3 o'clock was a no-show so I could slip into that slot.

"Shouldn't take long."

But they took my car off the alignment rack at 4 when the 5 o'clock appointment showed early.

That's not how you do this.

What you're doing is telling a walk in that they're the lowest priority and to find a different shop.

Which I will do next time.

There's about twenty places that can do an alignment on a walk in basis around here.

I chose the place I did because it was close and I could relay my destination to Marv simply and quickly.

Mom and pop are getting the next alignment and tire-mounting.

On the plus side, the guy doing the work actually did do a good job even if what he was telling the manager about why it was taking so long didn't make any sense to her.

The PPV has an odd system to get all four wheels aligned and it takes a lot of jiggering to even get an initial reading.  Especially when it's totally out of whack, like The Beast was.

Changes to toe, change the camber and caster and you have to reset a couple of times.

It'd be easier if Holden had made allowance for camber adjustment.

Eventually they got it aligned and recommended that I change my brake fluid, coolant and wiper blades.

I can do that!


2 comments:

  1. It's not just Holden.

    My family has cars from Subaru, Mitsubishi, and Nissan - none of them have the ability to adjust front camber directly.

    I guess that means the bean-counters won, since omitting the two eccentric bolts on the front suspension struts saved probably no more than $10 per car.

    It seems that you have to go either after-market or up market to get that feature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Took the RAV to a franchise tire shop for rotation. That's all. Rotate 4 tires. Three hours later RAV still up in the air, tires were still in a pile on the floor. Blew up. Ten minutes later tires back on. No idea if they were rotted or not. Then came the bill plus 2K in repair estimates. Took RAV to Toyota dealer, asked for Pre-Purchase inspection. Toyota shop could not find anything wrong with rear shocks, alignment, brakes, or filters. Date and mileage recorded on filter elements 4 months/3K miles prior. How many widows have they cheated?

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: Sign your work. Try this link for an explanation: https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2023/04/lots-of-new-readers.html

Anonymous comments must pass a higher bar than others. Repeat offenders must pass an even higher bar.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.