12 December 2022

Contrarians

I once expressed that the Stabilitrak system on the Vette caused my accident.

I was firmly informed, sarcastically, that I must be so much smarter than GM's engineers.

Like most people, an engineer is smart, a group of engineers are dumb.

A problem with lots of performance cars appears to be the traction control and a pilot-induced-oscillation that suddenly whipsaws the rear back and forth until traction control "wins" and puts the car into a roadside obstacle.

Over and over, the driver describes doing what you're supposed to do when the rear fish-tails, then the sudden terror that it was getting worse, not better.

My theory is the average person has no rear wheel drive experience and, worse, will steer opposite of what you're supposed to do in a fish-tail.

Most of these accidents like mine are people who are familiar with rear wheel drive and engines with excessive power.

I didn't think I was in trouble for the first two swings.  Didn't seem any different than losing the rear on my old Camaro.

What was different is my inputs were making the swings worse, not better.

Ultimately, it was my mistake that got me into a situation where I'd have to fight the Stabilitrak, but I think that GM (and other auto-makers) are going to have legal problems over it eventually.


1 comment:

  1. I have a 2016 pickup that has rear/4 wheel drive. Even when the traction control is turned off the m*****f****** computer will cut power and apply the brakes when I try to do things that my old truck with the same motor would do without any complaints. Turn around in the snow? Nope, how about you stop sideways in the intersection with the idiot lights blinking and brakes buzzing....

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.