20 May 2023

Gasket

I have a small exhaust leak at the driver's side manifold.

I am sure it's costing me some mileage because that bank is showing lean at the O2 sensor, and the noise is irritating.

Gaskets are ordered!  Mahle multi-layer steel for those scoring at home.

The first part I've ordered for the car that didn't have the "Uncommon Australian Car" tax on it.

Oddly these are the same parts The Precious would have used and don't have a Vette tax on them.

Perhaps it's because every LS motor uses this same gasket, including trucks.

It's odd that I'm getting excited about working on the car when everything that broke on The Precious gave a feeling of dread and anger.

The Beast is just different for me.

I think, ultimately, that I was never really a Corvette person.  I like having a back seat.  I like having a cargo compartment that you can't see into.

I miss being able pick what gear I'm in directly, but my poor left knee appreciates the slushbox in stop-and-go traffic.

5 comments:

  1. Might be a good idea to start shooting penetrating oil on the fasters. I'm pretty fond of Kroil, but PB Blaster is decent. Wintergreen oil works well. But it's hard to get it where you need it. The small aerosol Kroil was fourteen bucks last time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one time I forgot the PB Blaster was the one time I broke a bolt in the exhaust. That was when I was doing the starter on The Precious.

      The ONE time...

      Guess who hasn't forgotten since?

      Delete
  2. There are times I miss the back seat and big trunk of the Chevelles I once favored. Unfortunately GM has forgotten how to build a car like that (even with 4 doors) and everyone says I'm crazy because I'd want a V8 powered intermediate sized 2 door car with a usable back seat and trunk (note that the current Camaro back seat and trunk are not comparable to what the Chevelles back in the day). And apparently due to pressure from their Federal overlords, they'll be forgetting how to make even Camaros soon. And Ford forgot and from what I've heard Mopar is forgetting the Challenger soon as well. Of course not that I'm really in the market for a new car due to finances these days... But not having options makes the decision not to much easier. They're trying to force everyone to buy some stupidly expensive turd of an EV that they can remotely turn off at will once they decide it is time for their forced global austerity. --swj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 2nd gen Camaro that I used to favor had a palatial back seat compared to 4th plus generations.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I could almost fit in a 2nd Gen or maybe even a 3rd Gen... but even the size I was back when you had the silver one... would be might uncomfortable in a 4th+. Basically only suitable for children sized people. -swj

      Delete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.