10 May 2023

It Does Not Mean Fake

I realized that I get bristly about some topics of mental health because I'm a sufferer of something that's invisible.

Misophonia is obscure enough that it's not even in the DSM.  Yet.

They've really only started to study it.

Does that make it fake?

Am I faking it?

Nope.

It's happening, I'm experiencing it.

I fervently want to be able to sit someplace and have someone eat nearby and not be upset by it.

Don't assume that just because something is psychological that someone is faking it.

Don't assume that what they do to cope with the problem is intended to slight or insult you.

Have some fucking compassion, because they have to live with it every damn day.

You just have to deal with it in passing.

Try to understand it.

That said, I'll stand right there with you and go after the people whom ARE faking it to get attention.

Those assholes make it harder for people with real problems to get the help they need.

Especially, they prevent people doing research from exploring new areas and finding treatments.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know it was a real thing. I thought it was just being hypersensitive to sounds that other people tune out. My adult son (autistic) hates sporadic loud noises. Fireworks displays are avoided. That sort of thing.

    jrg

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.