28 May 2023

Tick Tick Tick Tick

 Had a ticking from somewhere under the hood of The Beast.

Marv thought he heard an exhaust leak from the manifold.

So I ordered parts!

JT came over today to hand-hold socialize with me because I ain't never spun a wrench on no LS motor!

He brought his special-scope stethoscope to make sure it wasn't the manifold to cat-convertor seal.

Confirmed!  #7 was leaking.



The torque values on these single-use bolts is shockingly low.  One pass at 11 ft-lb and a second at 15 ft-lb.

The key her is single-use.  I know from the Sarasota Sheriff's Office's records they did a cam and lifters at 90k and they might have reused these bolts.  The leaking cylinder was nearly finger tight! 

I used new ones.

While I was in there, I replaced the valve cover gasket on that side which was showing signs of seeping.

The tick is gone!  The odd glonk noise at 1200 rpm in 4 cylinder mode at light load is gone too.

All for less than $50 because I have tools and friends who can still hear directionally.

Test drive went well, the driver's information center shows a small increase in mpg and it's MUCH smoother.

2 comments:

  1. Was the exhaust manifold reachable from above or was this an "on your back" from down under job? Just curious as I have not had a GM product in the stable since the late 1990's and the last few V6 I worked on were sheer murder due to lack of room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got it from the top. Holden knows about tool clearances and access, unlike Chevrolet and Corvette!

      So far, nothing on this car has been difficult to work on. Sometimes tedious in removing layers to get at something, but the layers are easy to remove.

      Delete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.