26 May 2023

I Already Have The Books

As I do more playing around converting AD&D critters to GURPS 4e I am intensely aware of Wizards of the Coast's epic fail which they are compounding by saying there will be a 20% price increase soon.

As an old grognard, I have everything I need to play AD&D, AD&D 2e, GURPS 3eR, GURPS 4e, Star Frontiers, Top Secret, Traveller, 2300AD, Twilight: 2000, Champions 4e, Warhammer FRP 1e...  Etc.

WOTC, I don't need to ever spend another penny with you to play.

I was never your ideal customer, to be honest, nearly every fantasy world I DM'd was of my own creation and I didn't purchase the ready-made settings.

So if I'm running my own setting, I don't even need your rules to play it because I don't have to worry about my world being compatible with your rules.

I've converted all of those games to GURPS at least once.

I need to break the news to Steve Jackson Games about this too.  Not sure if they noticed that I stopped spending money there when they did their rant about Roe v Wade being killed off.  I'm not even pro-life!

But I don't want politics with my diversions from reality.

So I can play any of the above games without spending another cent with the companies who publish(ed) them.

I'll spend more providing the players with blank character sheets.

That's a long-winded way of saying, "Assholes, you need us (and our money) WAY more than we need you." 

Update: All of the above doesn't even account for a lot of people will just download a pirated version of the rules.  Drive-Thru RPG is great for purchasing many of the old games that are out of print, but there's fuck-all keeping someone from handing out free copies to their players once they've paid for the first set.

FuzzyGeff and I dropping cash on digital copies of Warhammer FRP 1e to start the conversion process to GURPS 4e for Technomad makes us the exception not the rule.  We're making this conversion for someone else who wants to use it without an intent to play ourselves.  Our incentives to pay for the out-of-print rules were low and we still did.  Someone who wanted to play this would have more incentive to steal.

Add in some shithead liberal politics and...  Raise the Jolly Roger, lads!

8 comments:

  1. if you time to dig around online, you can probably find most of the manuals online in pdf for free...panzer guy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In fact, the last time I checked, that was the only way to get D&D5 in pdf form. I don't know what they thought they were accomplishing, but they certainly weren't hindering piracy.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to reimburse you and Geff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy birthday! It's an excuse to do something we often do on our own. Geff is down the rabbit-hole of figuring out the magic items while I'm puttering with converting the attributes and templates.

      This won't really take long once we dig in.

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I'm hoping to be able to swing a trip to Florida this summer (stopping off at Andersonville on the way down---ALONE!)

      Delete
  4. There are thousands of complete worlds, created by authors, to build on. Rules don't have to be complicated, true-to-life, or even particularly consistent. Games are about having fun. Some of the best RPGs I've ever played were ones where players frequently bent the rules to add to their characters' difficulties. It can be hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Arrrr!!! Let thee piracy commence! -swj

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.