24 May 2019

Tone

Memorial Day for me has long been a somber affair.

Once I learned the why of it.

There's a part of me that resents the sales and it marking the first weekend of summer vacations.

Resentment that's tempered with knowing that those small exercises of personal liberty are precisely why many of us served and are genuinely glad that people CAN be ignorant of what Memorial Day is.

Like many vets, I've a list of names of my fellows who're gone.  Some older, some younger.  Some died doing their duty, others just finally lost the race we will all lose someday.

That we remember them is what's important.

That we don't worry about the people who've gone and never served on this one day is also important.

2 comments:

  1. You said it best a while back. Some guys need to be honored by getting piss drunk and trying to see free boobies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Angus;

    You are correct, We honor them, we know people that passed too soon and of course "Free boobies" are a good thing :)

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: Sign your work. Try this link for an explanation: https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2023/04/lots-of-new-readers.html

Anonymous comments must pass a higher bar than others. Repeat offenders must pass an even higher bar.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.