19 October 2019

Burning Off The Carbon

Put a few miles on The Precious today.

Got on the toll road east of here, put her in 4th and set the cruise at 70.

Runs at about 3k rpm like this.

Ran the oil temp up to 221˚ F, but the pressure was running at 50 psi the whole time.

Exited and tooled around the back roads a bit and cruising the speed limit in 6th.  Oil temps dropped back to 196˚ or so and the pressure was running about 40 psi down around 1,500 rpm.

It barely dropped at stop lights, where it'd been dropping to 30-35 depending on oil temps before.

I think I melted something with the higher rpm and oil temps that was blocking an oil passage slightly!

Oil change is coming tomorrow.

Also of note: The new clutch is definitely gripping better than the old one.  A spirited punch to get ahead of traffic with a bit of wet on the road had the traction control intervening.  Last time I tried this, there was enough slip in the clutch that the tires held.

I call that winning!

I'm totally unconcerned about that lifter because the ticking/clanging hasn't repeated since I picked up the car.  It's a bleed-down from lack of use.  Yes, something is wrong; no it's not a huge worry if I just drive it frequently (gee darn).

1 comment:

  1. It might have just been gunk. Nothing wrong at all. As you said, just from sitting too long.

    Used to see this at the outboard shop all the time, some guy would bring in a motor that was 'running rough' after not running it for a year. We'd clean the plugs, run it for 10 minutes and somewhere around 7 or 8 the rpms would smooth out and the exhaust would clean up and go from funky to just okay smelling.

    I think this means that you and your co-driver need to get out more often.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.