26 October 2019

Disaster And A Miracle

ZM Łucznik P-64's have been appearing in the local gun shops lately.

All of them have a smoother safety than mine.

So I set out to find out why.

The safety/decocker has a detent, and that detent isn't playing nice.

So I read up on how to take apart the slide and had no problems doing so.

The disaster happens with a pair of forceps holding the firing pin so I can get the safety in far enough so I can press the detent into its hole.

The forceps slipped and the firing pin and its spring flew up and over my monitor and behind the desk!

"FUCK!" I exclaimed.

Miraculously, I found the firing pin on the floor and the spring under one of the monitors.

"What's wrong with the safety?" you might ask.

The detent spring is way too long and puts too much pressure on the detent which makes it hard to rotate the safety.  I clipped a couple coils and it's much better now.

Honestly, it could use a couple more off, but the disassembly and reassembly are just too fiddly.

7 comments:

  1. You found them? That's amazing. I ordinarily have to wait until the parallel universe the part vanished into and our universe merge again. Usually a day or two and I'll find it exactly where I was looking the first time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd already gotten to the point of seeing if Numrich had replacements... They don't.

      That led me to renew my search.

      Delete
  2. I've launched quite a few AR detent pins and springs somewhere into the living room that I now keep a quantity of spares on hand. Of course when I have plenty I never lose one. So it's insurance or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I launched a buffer retainer and its spring up into the garage attic once.

      I spent about an hour of fruitless searching before I gave up and ordered replacements.

      Months later I found both sitting neatly on the rafters when I was getting the Halloween decorations down.

      Delete
    2. That sounds about right. I've launched one of those before but managed to find it. I still keep spares of all those small pins and springs for ARs now. I've actually got some replacements parts on order at the moment. I've got a few 80% lowers that I need to get around to finishing and assembling.

      Delete
    3. I have one 80% that I really need to decide what I want engraved on before I finish.

      Or just let it sit...

      I haven't decided.

      Delete
    4. I've left my 80%ers slick sided, but I'm lazy that way.

      Delete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.