17 October 2019

Fuel System Detailed After Action

The original reason for dropping the gas tank was because the pipe at the flange had cracked and was spraying fuel on top of the tank.

Drop one got the new pump in.

Drop two got the jet line return routed correctly.

Then I did the clutch.

Then I noticed a stronger gas smell than before.

This appears to be because I had the o-rings at the tank for the crossover in the wrong order.

Drop three was to fix that.

During the third reinstallation of the cross-over we (meaning JT who is being blamed) the brittle hard plastic tabs that hold the brittle nylon jet and return lines decided that three times was the charm and BOTH broke off.  That caused the fuel pump to just dump into the crossover.

This is despite the in-tank side of this was brand new.

Joe put a new crossover in and a new in-tank jet/return and buttoned her back up.

There's a new problem though.  Long crank time, like the fuel system check valve isn't holding.  If I prime it a couple times it cranks faster.  We're keeping an eye on it and if it's not better by a tank full or a week, take it back down.

Joe told me, over and over, that these parts just fail for no reason during installation and I'd been lucky to get it back in and working the second time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.