17 October 2019

Doing It Right?

The cold start tapping of a lifter had the owner of the shop impress upon me the need to do the job right...

Here's a list of what he'd charge to for the whole thing:

His labor - $1,417. (13.5 hours at $105).
LS7 lifter set - $179.99
2x LS3 head gaskets - $88.72
2x valve cover gaskets - $39.76
8x spark plugs - $31.92
Plug wire set - $49.99
ARP head bolt kit - $124.63
Valve stem seal kit - $46.00
2x Exhaust manifold gasket - $15.98
Intake manifold gasket set - $64.34
Beehive spring kit - $200
2 gal DexCool - $33.90
Amsoil oil change and filter - $99.95


Getting the following done to the heads is $600
Surface the heads
Valve job
Install valve stem seal kit

Grand total with tax, title and license: $3,223.67.

There's a huge part of me that's thinking that it can be done in my garage for a lot less.

Like Retired Wrench says, it's easier than that clutch.  Hell, it's easier than dropping the gas tank and I did that three times!

Bad luck got me on the tank.

I prolly won't get the parts deals he's getting, but...  I think I can do the lifters for about $500.

I don't really WANNA, but I can.  It'll be kinda nice to work on TOP of the car for a change.

The real danger is an attack of the stupids and putting in a new cam...  The car makes enough power now, I don't need more because I don't use it.

1 comment:

  1. Dang. That's getting into "Oops it accidentally caught fire and burned to the ground, thank you for my insurance check" time.

    What next? Steering wheel strip out? Tie rods?

    Is your car jinxed?

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: Sign your work. Try this link for an explanation: https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2023/04/lots-of-new-readers.html

Anonymous comments must pass a higher bar than others. Repeat offenders must pass an even higher bar.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.