31 October 2019

It's So Tiny

Baa Baa Blacksheep has an episode where VMF-214 is competing with an Army Air Corps squadron for who gets to shoot down Admiral Yamato (not, you will note Yamamoto).

They're using real planes and suddenly I'm hit with a sense of scale.

They Blacksheep are trying to sabotage the compass on a P-15D and these familiar actors are standing next to the plane and it's so much smaller than the F4U's we're accustomed to seeing them next to.

I think I never noticed before because I've never had a model of a P-51D next to one for an F4U-4.

I am pretty sure I only built the one Mustang and it was in 1/32.

The numerous F4U's were the 1/48 Monogram kit, and that was a Korean War F4U-5N with 4x 20mm and the radar set.

3 comments:

  1. The Corsair, the Hellcat and the Thunderbolt all used the same engine. The smallest of those is the Hellcat, and it looks huge next to a Mustang.

    Funny fact - the inline Merlin engines were much more finiky and short-lived than the big R-2800 radial engine, which was practically unkillable mechanically (seriously, they ran one with minimal to none oil and couldn't kill it.)

    And the fastest US piston fighter? A P-47? Longest ranged? A P-47. Yet the darned Mustang gets all the glory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plus The Jug had more guns and more ammo per gun.

      Delete
  2. I was at a Collings Foundation event in September at Worcester Airport. They had a P-51 on the flight line getting ready to go, when the A1-E Sky Raider that just landed pulled up next to it. Holy crap, that thing was huge, but looked much smaller while taxiing because of its configuration.

    As a side note, I paid for a flight on their B-25 Mitchell. I wanted the B-17 but it was booked solid. My flight was 30 minutes long and was over the very scenic Quabbin Reservoir. Well worth the $400.

    It was two weeks later that the B-17 went down at Bradley Airport, killing 7. So sad.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: Sign your work. Try this link for an explanation: https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2023/04/lots-of-new-readers.html

Anonymous comments must pass a higher bar than others. Repeat offenders must pass an even higher bar.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.