13 June 2020

Outsmarting The Counter Monkey

It would help a great deal if someone who knows something about cars would program the data-base for the counter-monkey.

It keeps coming up.

If the computer can't find the part under the name for it that's in the gorram manual, your computerized system has failed the customer.

The customer should not be on the hook to remember every single synonym for the part, that's the "expertise" that supposed to come with standing behind that counter.

I've been to parts stores who've had those people.

Increasingly, those people have left for greener pastures.

Worse, and yesterday is a fine example, the system finds every part with part of the name you're looking for and doesn't give enough information to choose the right part.

That's how I got to see ten choices for the main-belt tensioner pully, five choices for the A/C belt tensioner pulley and two for the main-belt idler pulley.

And was asked by the counter monkey, "is this the water-pump/power steering/alternator pulley?"

NO!  Right belt, but if I admit that, you're going to try to get the pulley that's on the accessory you named and not the idler I need.  Bet a new crate motor that you'd go on to tell me that you can't get the pulley's for those accessories separately and try to sell me a complete water-pump/power steering/alternator too.

I am on to you!

So far the best look of panic I've seen on their faces is looking up the part I need on their web page, checking to see if it's in stock there and then going to the store and saying, "I need brand and part-number," then refusing to answer the make and model.  If really pressed, I say I'm making a sculpture or a mobile.

1 comment:

  1. When they stopped letting the customer look at their parts diagrams, that was the end of good customer sevice.

    Working the parts counter at the boat shop, I always allowed customers to look at the diagrams. Just to make sure.

    And I feel your pain. Had a Ford Aerostar with the 2.8L Mustang engine in it. Which, according to most parts books or computers, didn't exist. I would have to take the counter monkey out to look at the rather prominent label under the hood giving the motor description for them to even attempt to believe me.

    I don't know how people do hot-rodding or engine swapping anymore.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.