04 June 2020

Let's Be Racist!

No.  Let's not.

But the local news is encouraging we do.

They say to support "wealth equality" by patronizing black owned businesses.

Presumably by not patronizing a white owned competitor.

Um...

Do they even listen to themselves?  <-- That's rhetorical.

Economics just doesn't work like that.

I like to shop local.  The brick and mortar location often pays dividends in service and expertise on a sale of many things that I won't get from online or big-box.

If that local retailer is a minority, bully for them, but that's not why I'm in the store.

While I like to shop local, let's be realistic and acknowledge that I'm not going to drive an hour to shop for...  Wait.  If I'm driving an hour I'm not shopping local anymore.

So.

Black business owner: You want me to patronize you, I will.  Give me a superior experience to the competition in some way.  Better prices, more knowledgeable assistance, friendlier service, more convenient location, etc...  I'll wealth equalize you all day long!

Local news affiliate: You don't understand economics so very damn hard.

Much of this is academic.  In most places I shop, I have no idea who owns the place.  I can't make a race based purchase decision without knowing who owns the place.

The places I do know, it's demographics not racism that has me shopping primarily at white owned places.

Always keep in mind that to have a successful business you have to have a product people want to buy.  Black Star Line Brewery didn't.  They went out of business.  I asked the important question about the place, the paramount question for a brewery, "Is the beer any good?"

Turns out, it was merely OK, and certainly not worth enduring the atmosphere of the place to get it.

But they didn't blame having a mediocre, at best, product in a cut throat market for their failure.

Their main failure was they marketed themselves as a brewery, but were really selling a political position.  You can get political positions for free, why pay for one?

What did they blame for their failure?  Certainly not a lack of product people wanted to pay for...

But if I follow the advice of the local Fox affiliate, I should go out of my way to patronize places like Black Star Line.  Apparently without regard of wanting, liking or needing their product, but just because of who owns the place.

Making my decision to shop someplace on the basis of race is the very definition of racist decision.

No, Sir.  I will not base my decision on race.

1 comment:

  1. The wicked twist of 'Minority' or 'Women' owned businesses? Many of them are straight up shams. They are 'owned' by a black person, and then 'managed' by someone else. Same with 'Women' owned businesses. Sure, the 'owner' is a woman, but her male partner or spouse actually runs it.

    Some places are really bad, with a few minorities or women 'owning' a variety of businesses and getting kickbacks and salaries without the minority or women ever stepping into the facility.

    And a lot of business regulations are weakened or removed for minority or women owned businesses. Even EPA and OSHA standards.

    The sick part of this is with government contracts and lending practices, a business can actually make money and pay a token 'owner' and still be more profitable than 'traditionally owned' businesses.

    Sick world. Sick sick world.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.