25 June 2020

Read That Fine Print

In the ongoing quest for an M1873 altered model... aka Artillery model...

One of the local shops has an Uberti 1873 Cattleman El Patrón.  $600 and change.

It's so very close and has the advantage of being all tuned up for Cowboy Action Shooting.

And the damn grips are checkered.

It's enough to make one notice the post-1896 features like a half-moon ejector and spring-loaded axis-pin stop.

"Just replace the grips, Angus!"

Plain walnut, one-piece grips are over $100 and many require fitting and finishing.  I'm learning how to do wood, thanks to the checkering project, but I'm no where near doing a set of single action Army grips.

So... back to Gunbroker.

Cimarron makes the precise model I want.  Some are listed for the low-low price of $518.

Which brings us to the fine print.

3.5% credit card fee.  $28 shipping.  $564.13 to get it to the FFL.

That credit card fee is really common.

There's at least one place that's charging $578 no credit card fee, free shipping.  Almost worth the $13.87 for the honesty!

Taylor's makes a couple that are very close as well.

Post-'96 features, brass grip frame.  $509.38.  $25 shipping.  $534.38 to the FFL.

I think having all the correct features is worth the extra $33.62 and honesty!

Ah!  The angst!

3 comments:

  1. I don't understand why companies make inaccurate reproductions. Way back when Pedersoli came out with a Quigley Sharps rifle which was available through Cabelas. Big bucks. I was all fired up to get one until I saw it. Beautiful gun, but it wasn't right. The one in the film had a tang sight with a hooded front and was chambered in .45-110. The supposed reproduction came with a receiver sight, nonhooded front and was available in .45-70 or .45-120. Their Heavy Target model was a lot closer to the Quigley. It at least had the correct sights. Yeah, I took a pass.............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I'd call my situation one of inaccuracy. Nobody but Cimarron is billing their 5-1/2" barrel guns as "artillery models".

      I'm looking for a fairly esoteric variant of the Single-Action Army.

      If the price difference had been larger, I wouldn't have sweated the inaccuracy of using the later pattern gun to represent the gun I want.

      Delete
  2. So, silly question, this is the Artillery Model. We're there different M-1873s for each respective branch of the Army?

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.