08 November 2022

Stahlhelm M1916

A while back Willard gave me an old German helmet.  Size E64.

 

It didn't fit right, so I put it on the back burner and was saving it for some time when my muse told me to use it in a pic with one of the Finnish rifles.

I noticed it sitting there and decided to figure out why it didn't fit.

First off, this is not the Great War correct suspension system. 

It's obviously be refurbished during its long life, but by whom and how recently?  I dunno.

I suspect very recently because that leather is unworn.

When they updated the suspension, they updated the chin strap too.  The original strap had metal loops that hooked over lugs down near the edge.

The reason it didn't fit was someone putting a band of 1/8" thick foam tape around the inside of the liner.

I removed it and then adjusted the laces and now it fits like it should!

I am ready for the Somme!

NOT!

Update:

It weighs 2.9 lb. and should be good for DR 6 to the skull.

3 comments:

  1. What, no pickel haube?

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the context of Finnish rifles I'd say ready to take on red guards or report for Suojeluskunta drill. IIRC the M1916 was mostly retired by the Winter War

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those helmets were masterpieces of engineering, IMO. Note how the front rim slants upward just enough to make rain slide down the sides?

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.