19 November 2022

Glitch

My conversion of Twilight: 2000 to GURPS started out life using MS Word from Office 95.

It got saved-as into OpenOffice, then edited with OpenOffice, NeoOffice or LibreOffice depending on what OS I was using while editing.

Recently, it's begun to show its age by showing about five pages blank.

If you close and reopen, many times the pages are restored, but it's irritating.

I might have to undertake the laborious task of retyping everything from scratch to detach from any lingering legacy formatting incompatibilities from using an ancient version of Word to start with. 

I guess that one could have worse hobbies...

2 comments:

  1. I've good luck copy/pasting formatted text into Notepad to remove fonts, spacing, sizes, and assorted goofy crap. Then copying it in notepad and pasting it where I want it to go. Saves some time over retyping when it works out.

    BC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try saving (or exporting, I don't have OpenNeoLibreOffice on this machine) as an RTF (Rich Text Format). Much of your formatting may survive.
    In your Google account, try uploading it to a Google Doc and see if that fixes it. You can then re-export as other formats.
    You can do the same with the web version of Office if you have some sort of Microsoft account (Hotmail, etc).
    If any of these retain most of your formatting, then they're probably worth the exercise.
    I do have a Microsoft account and would be willing to try the conversion there, if you don't have one and don't want to create one.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.