29 October 2020

Fixing What The Other Guy Broke

 The "new" Sigma's trigger would, occasionally, run all the way against the over-travel stop and then not trip the sear.

¡No es bueno!

So I endeavored to figure out why.

Someone had already been grinding on the sear engagement surface of the striker.

It wasn't even square with the sear.

SIGH.

Herr Dremel, we meet again.

So I took apart The Lovely Harvey's SW357V and FuzzyGeff's SW40F and measured the protrusion carefully.

There were three springs on the sear return instead of two like Harvey and FG.

So I took my own dremel to the striker and got it square and flat with the sear.

Removed the "extra" spring.

Polished up where the sear grinds against the sear block.

Now the sear trips where it's supposed to instead of nearly too late.

It's also down from 10 to 8.25 lb.

UPDATE:

Trial and error!  That third spring is needed to shove the sear back up when the slide is banging hard, like when you use the slide stop to release the slide...

Re-nesting the two springs seems to have cured the sear not dropping far enough. 

UPDATE 2:

It's possible that the previous gunsmithing effort is not reversible by me.  I'm prepared for that to be true, and there's hardly any parts for Sigmas out there.  We'll see when I get it to the range.

1 comment:

  1. You might be able to find a spare parts kit at your local dealer. I just read a post about a guy that bought a spare parts kit for around $200. That kit wouldn't help you as somebody had damaged the striker on that kit.

    All kidding aside, thanks for explaining what you are finding and how you are proceeding.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.