13 October 2020

Scribbles To Myself

The primary purpose of this blog is really to talk to myself.

It just occurred to me with the crab-boat thing that it's not going to be clear to someone reading my scribbles that the entire point was to see if I could still do the math and calculate the difference in weight from replacing seawater with crabs.

That I could still think in metric when I wanted to.

I totally forgot that someone WOULD be reading it.

A thousand plus of you every day.

I remember being giddy about 100 visitors a day.

I offer my apologies for being cranky about the topic of the crab boat because it came on the heels of reading abject morons hurting my mind with their explanations of why a crab-boat on a treadmill couldn't take off with 500 thousand pounds of crab added to it.

5 comments:

  1. That's why the USAF crab boats have hard points for JATOs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a knowledge assumption in the crab boat trading on X pounds of crabs that I missed, that the go into holding tanks filled with seawater, thus for every pound of crab added to the tank so much seawater must be removed from the tank.

    Thus the need for density calculations. If you add a pound of aluminum to a tank of water you will have to remove 1/2.7 pounds of water. AL = 2.7g/cm^3 H2O =0.997 or close to 1. The cool thing is that it doesn't really matter what the units are because we can work with the ratio.

    Thanks for the cool thinking problem

    Now for a fun one: what color was Cesor's white horse?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ceaser's horse matches the boathouse at Hereford!

      Delete
    2. It is another "you have to know X in order to get the answer". People talk about "white" horses but "horse people" know that there are only shades of gray. So the correct answer is "gray".

      At the time I was introduced to that question they were talking about they might have found the first "white" horse ever.

      The answer depends on your knowledge of the subject matter outside of the stated question.

      Delete
    3. So, you don't know what color the boathouse at Hereford is either?

      Delete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.