08 February 2022

Epiphany

Talking to JT I realized something.

I'm not going to pay a premium for the car I'm going to hot-rod because I'm going to have to toss a lot of it away.

This is because I've come to genuinely believe that the value of such cars is entirely emotional.

You don't build and own a hot-rod to make money.  You do it for the love.

You love the car.  You love the research.  You love the work.

Love doesn't add monetary value to a project unless the buyer loves as you do.

Hint: The buyer doesn't love as you do.

You're not getting your money back, and if you do you're not getting your time back.

Hot-Rods are net losses.

It's why I'm not going to be buying the checks-off-all-the-rational-boxes Chevy Caprice PPV.

Totally modern, V-8 powered, rear wheel drive car with all the desirable safety features.

And it doesn't speak to me.

I would not hate it, but neither would I love it; and the first string of irritating failures and their attendant repairs: I would hate it.

What speaks to me, though, is out of reach.  I love the '62 Chevys.  They're just out of reach because I need to maintain a portion of the insurance pay-out for modernization.  Shit like air conditioning.

Brake upgrades.

Other safety stuff.

But they speak to me.

I think there's a bubble in these old classics, and it's set to burst.

I will wait.

2 comments:

  1. It's nice just having something that starts when you want it to, stops when you need it to, and gets you where you need to go without a constant level of tinkering, replacing, searching for ever-increasingly scarce parts and all that.

    And, sometimes, something modern has more soul than you'd expect, and you'll fall in love all over again.

    The extras they toss on a PPV or any police-modified vehicle, heavy suspension and all that, is an extra nice thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it only spoke to me.

      The Biscayne SS was a former police car. I'm familiar with the breed.

      Delete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.