16 February 2022

Mutter Mutter Technology Mutter

I am dedicating a laptop to running the Tech2.

My old one.

I ordered a new one, old Lenovos are cheap, and swapped the drives between them.

Ubuntu and Win7 from the old machine woke up in their new digs and declared happiness and you cannot even tell I am using a new machine (except for the light that illuminates the keyboard is switchable again.)

The machine I ordered was supposed to come with Win10 Home on a 320gb drive.  What I received was a 128gb SSD and Win10 Pro.

Which will not activate.

JT talked me through all of his tricks to no avail.

So, we're downloading a fresh install of Win10 from M$ and seeing if that will work.  In theory I have three valid keys here, one from the laptop vendor and two from other machines which aren't running Win10.

Getting JT to talk me through it was an adventure itself!  My cell carrier decided to break one the towers in my area, putting me "out of range".  Happily I'm a dinosaur who clings to having a phone bolted to the wall.

2 comments:

  1. that doesn't sound right...think they pulled one over you Angus...normally you can't do crap with the "serial number" that comes with your laptop...can't download a copy from microshit for a back up if something happens to your harddrive...it's basically worthless...either download it from microshit or buy an actual dvd from a reputable store...it should have a valid serial and should activate...panzer guy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're correct about them pulling a fast one on me. But the main point was to get me a fresh laptop for general use and one that will be a dedicated Tech2 box.

      I run Ubuntu for daily computing and the Tech2 can be either Win7 or Win10. I still have the original hard drive for the old laptop with Win7 Pro installed on it and it works just fine in its original home.

      Delete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.