17 February 2022

Perhaps My Fault

Here's the whole laptop saga.

In 2015 I got a Lenovo T420S to replace my dead MacBook Pro.

The first thing I did was to up the RAM to 16mb and clone the 128gb drive over to a 750gb.  I barely used the original drive.

Later came a 1tb SSD running a fresh Win7 install, then a 1tb SSD running Ubuntu, with the Windows SSD in the removable superbay.

That machine decided that I didn't need to be able to turn off the keyboard light and I got sick of it.  It did this right after JT replaced the CPU cooler and fan, so I suspect we put something back together wrong.

But other than that it runs fine.

The new machine is also a refurb T420S and it was supposed to come with a 320gb drive with Win10 Home and 8gb of RAM.

It actually shipped with a 160gb SSD and Win10 Pro.

I swapped the RAM, hard drive and superbay from the old machine to the new machine.  New machine runs great!

Old machine booted fine with the 8gb or RAM and the 160gb SSD under Win10 Pro, but wouldn't activate.

Fresh install from new download on a thumb drive did not get me any closer to activation.

The old machine is going to become a dedicated host for the Tech2 software to us the VXDIAG dongle to be able to actually work on my cars.

Because that supports both Win7 and Win10, the original 128gb hard drive with Win7 Pro works just fine for my purposes.

I put it back in with a RAM upgrade and the machine is, indeed, happy.

If I had not wiped the hard drive attempting a fresh install on the 160gb SSD, I wonder if would have been fine in the new machine...

Oh well.

The outcome, at the end of the day, is an acceptable one. 

PS: I did not have to jump through any hoops at all to move the Ubuntu drive from one machine to the other.  Free OS is best OS.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.