Japan decided that full up 7.62 NATO was too powerful for its purposes, but also wanted to remain ammo compatible with US forces.
So they made a 7.62x51mm NATO rifle and issued a reduced pressure load to its troops.
For years I didn't have much information on it.
The internet has grown since then.
It's a 139gr bullet at 2,300 fps from the same barrel length as a H&K G3.
The G3 sends a 146gr bullet downrange at 2,625 fps.
The Japanese round, according to Gun Stats will do 5d+2 pi out to 700/2,900. The G3 does 6d+2 pi to 840/3,500 (High Tech says 850/3,750) and so does the Type 64 firing NATO spec ammo!
The Type 62 GPMG, with a longer barrel will do 6d pi out to 730/3,100 and 7d pi to 900/3,800 with NATO spec ammo. That 900/3,800 is the same as what the M14 calculates to, but High Tech says should be 1,000/4,200; plan accordingly.
Why did I figure this out?
I made something of a 'verse hopping setting and the players start as tourists at Ayer's Rock Urulu in Australia when the Japanese invade in 1994 inspired by Tom Clancy's Debt of Honor.
I knew the Type 64 rifle fired a reduced power round, but didn't know things like bullet weight and velocity so I made some shit up and called it good when the players captured a couple guns.
Ever since then, I periodically check up to see if more information has escaped the relentlessly classified JSDF records. It's this kind of secrecy that had the Japanese using the Type 64 in 1994 instead of the 5.56 Type 89!
No comments:
Post a Comment
You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.
Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.
If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.
If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.