Among the changes that they virtue signaled in 4eR was eliminating Eskimo from p. B137 under Gullibility.
“Of course the Eskimos are descended from Spanish conquistadors; everyone knows that!”
Has been changed to:
“Of course the Yupik are descended from Spanish conquistadors – everyone knows that!”
On the infamous p. B2 we have:
And then there were the words we were ashamed of – exclusionary words, prejudiced words, even outright offensive words. We were guilty of perpetuating ethnic stereotypes, and using terms like “crazy,” “cripple,” and “slave” in lazy, hurtful ways. In cases where the correction was simple – a person is “Black,” not “black,” and the culture is “Inuit” or “Yupik,” not “Eskimo” – we made it and moved on.
Speaking as a cane wielding cripple, I was not offended and I am increasingly offended by the able bodied being offended for me instead of asking me if the use of crippled offended me.
If you're going to capitalize "Black" you'd damn sure better capitalize "White." Just sayin'.
But the Eskimo thing stood out.
It's not a thing in the USA. The Inuit and Yupik thing is an article of Canadian political drama concerning "what do we call the first nations people so we feel better about conquering them?"
Oh, and you clearly did not make the change and move on. If that were true I'd have only noticed that Eskimo had been replaced with Yupik if I compared the books page by page or remembered the example and tried to show it to someone else with the new book.
The two main people doing this revision are Canadian and I think their political zeitgeist is creeping in while SJ Games is being taken over by all the people they hired from Possum Creek Games.
It makes me sad to see the change because SJGames was the different company from the others way back when.
It'll be interesting to see what they do with their legacy and classic stuff.
The customer for Old West is looking to recreate movies and TV shows, not try to figure out who the fuck the Ndee are.
Never mind you can make a Gestapo agent as a character from their WW2 line.
Slavery is up front in both Greece and Rome.
Things that really happened are far harder to sanitize than a wholly fictional universe like Dark Sun.
It makes me wonder if we're going to have to call corn maize because corn is the name applied to it by Europeans.
No comments:
Post a Comment
You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.
Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.
If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.
If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.