Doing the Gun Stats for the Royal Ordnance Quick-Fire 20-pounder.
I'm getting the penetration numbers I expected, but not the ranges.
I am accustomed to sabot rounds outranging the full-bore rounds.
This is not true for APDS vs AP.
APDS Mk.1 gets 6dx19(2) pi++ to 5,000/24,800.
Shot Mk. 1 an APCBC (AP in GURPS) gets 6dx11(2) pi++ to 11,600/38,000.
So I dug into it. Turns out it's correct. I did not expect that.
It repeats with the 105mm L7/M68 gun.
M392 APDS has a range of 4,300/19,000. M456 HEAT has 7,900/23,200.
"Normalcy" is restored when I did the M735 APFSDS round and got 11,500/34,000 for range.
It makes sense. The penetrator on an APDS round is relatively short and it's very light compared to the full-bore rounds. It has a poor ballistic coefficient, more drag means less range.
No comments:
Post a Comment
You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.
Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.
If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.
If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.