20 July 2019

Fight For $15

There was once a time when I was an up and coming mechanical draftsman where I was making $15 an hour.

I worked for a small medical life-support firm in Des Moines.

I was responsible for drawing and dimensioning parts which would be manufactured off-site, and sometimes off-shore, where putting the wrong dimension on the part would make it not fit, or worse, not work.

Literally someone could die if the dimensions put the part out of tolerance at the extreme edges of the operation envelope.

Minimum wage was $4.65 at the time.

Iowa minimum wage is $7.25 now, so my drafting job should be worth $23.39 an hour now.

But...

$15 an hour and the idiot at McDonald's can't manage to get the cheese and fish filet centered on the fucking bun?

Close enough still has a 3/8" tolerance; AND THEY MISS IT!

They're not doing a job worth the Florida minimum of $8.46 an hour right now and they want a fucking raise?

Snowflake, the minimum wage is $0 an hour.  Don't think a robot can't replace you.

1 comment:

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: Sign your work. Try this link for an explanation: https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2023/04/lots-of-new-readers.html

Anonymous comments must pass a higher bar than others. Repeat offenders must pass an even higher bar.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.