20 December 2019

Click Click BOOM

I looked up the M67 grenade before ordering to make sure they were 'Nam era appropriate for my web gear.

With a service date of 1968, I'm OK there.

What was interesting is the variants of the M67.

Specifically the M68.  It's an impact, rather than delay fused version.  It has a red spoon and fuse to differentiate it from the M67, plus the body should be marked 'impact' instead of 'delay'.

The M68 is kind of a dual fuse deal.  When you let the spoon go, there's a 1-2 second delay before it arms the impact fuse and it should go bang when it impacts.  If it doesn't go bang on impact, a timed fuse sets it off 3-7 seconds after the spoon is released (just like a normal M67).

For the Trivia inclined: Except for markings the only difference between the M67 and M33 is a safety clip and a place for it on the fuse.

An M33 becomes an M33A1 or M59 if you change to an M217 impact fuse.  Near as I can tell the M33A1 and M59 are the same grenade, I don't know why they have different designations.

A lot of that goes on.

The M26 and M26A1 are the "lemon" shaped grenades as opposed to the M33 "baseball".

Add a safety clip and it's an M61.

Change the fuse to impact and it's an M26A2, or M57 with the safety clip.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.