07 December 2019

Saw It Coming But Still Sad

Digital media is supplanting and killing print.

19 car magazines which will no longer be printed next year.

I remember buying, subscribing and reading many of those titles.

I also remember when the builds stopped being informative "how-to" articles and started becoming lists of parts they bought advertisers gave them.

I remember when the "budget" build could be done by someone who didn't have a six figure salary and I was subscribing when the budget build passed the crate motor from Summit in price.

Inevitable, I suppose, that these mags should die.

When the supply of cars you can build up gets so expensive that only an investment banker can afford a rusted hulk and the price of the engine approaches the price of a new car... Who are you writing these articles for?

4 comments:

  1. Hey Angus;

    Bummer, I know that I want to buy a car from the 1970's and modify it or even a car later in age and restore/modify it so it will be unique. I keep thinking of the 1990's V8 thunderchicken

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait until you see what you have to do to get the front end alignment done on one of those!

      My mother in law threw hers away rather than pay for it twice.

      Delete
    2. I felt the same way about my 1991 Chrysler Imperial, especially when I found it was worth more in pieces/parts/scrap/salvage than in running condition. May demons infest the souls of the accountants and MBAs that caused that abortion to climb out of the pits of Auto-Hell and infest America's roads.

      Delete
  2. I used to read a number of those mags regularly, and even subscribed to a few back in the day. But it has been a long time since I've subscribed to any print mag other than Shotgun News.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.