22 December 2019

Transhumanism

I will admit that the Transhuman Space setting did not appeal to me when I first read it.

I did not grok it.

Many of the concepts it plays with are examined by Ghost In The Shell.  No, not the Mamoru Oshiii movie; the manga.

These concepts are better examined with the related Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex television series, but still I didn't fully grok it.

But I'd started to.

An otherwise forgettable movie, "Elysium" hit on the themes that the wealth and benefit of all this technology would not be evenly spread across everyone, everywhere.

Oddly, it was The Expanse that opened the door to let me grasp the setting and grok it in its fullness.

Maybe not enough to GM it, but definitely enough to make a character to play in it.

Its a neat setting and there's enough source material that one can get completely lost quickly trying to assemble a place to play.

Like Traveller, you get jumpy making declarations out of fear that a book or module you don't already own contradicting you.

Also, like Traveller, if you make up your own stuff and make declarations that suit you: there are no Transhuman Space setting police who will come arrest you.

As the GM, it's literally YOUR world the second the first player's character takes an action.

The differences in feel and style between Erin's and my Traveller campaigns is enough to illustrate that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.