14 February 2023

I Like Thought Experiments

A thread asks, "What if you had to carry a pre-1945 gun as your daily carry."

What if I have to?

Well, been there, done that.

My very first, legal tote was with a revolver made in 1891.  H&R Automatic Top-Break 2nd Model 1st Variation in .32 H&R Long (.32 S&W Long fits and fires).

I've never been afraid of older designs.  They're often just fine, if heavy and limited in capacity compared to newer guns.

I pocketed a 1926 made Colt Pocket Hammerless .380 ACP for quite a while as well.

If it was just by age of the design, there's the 1911's.

First the Springfield M-1911 A1 'GI'

Then the Colt Government Model in .38 Super.


2 comments:

  1. Hey, my Grandfather's Brownie camera still works, and that's all you could ask of it.
    (Getting B&W film for it's a bitch, though...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those top break revolvers. I've got a bunch in .32 & .38. Some take short, some long. Some 5 shot, some 6. I've got H&R, Iver Johnson, US Revolver Co., and several other makes. I was kinda collecting them for a while. They aren't worth diddly over squat. I actually carried a 6 round H&R in the same long chambering as yours, although the one I carried was a later one designed for smokeless cartridges. It's actually pretty capable, the limiting factor is unless you handload you're limited to mostly plain round nose lead slugs.

    The one of those that got me started on it is the one I prize most even though I don't shoot it... It was my great grandfather's... a 5 shot H&R in .32 S&W Short.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: Sign your work. Try this link for an explanation: https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2023/04/lots-of-new-readers.html

Anonymous comments must pass a higher bar than others. Repeat offenders must pass an even higher bar.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.