21 February 2023

My 1911 Likes And Dislikes

 

I've been issued a couple.

I've owned a few.

They fit my hand well and I shoot them well.

I've, thankfully, had no problems with any I've owned.

My last issue gun kept shedding its front sight because the unit armorer didn't know how to stake a new one in.  I don't know either, but it's not my job.

I like how they are slim.

I dislike that they are heavy.

I think that I shoot them well enough that their lower capacity compared to the soulless plastic that has supplanted it doesn't matter.  But I prefer more chances to hit the target afforded by the newer designs.

I must have the correct sized meat hooks that the grip safety never gave me a bit of trouble.

1911's have soul.  As does an HP-35.

There's even soul in a metal framed Smith auto, like the 59.

I like the storied history of the thing and how it remains in production despite the advances in technology and the naysayers.

I like how you can make it completely yours from a list of parts that's at least as big as what you can do with an AR, even if it lacks the Lego-like simplicity and ease of installation.

7 comments:

  1. i was assigned to the arms room for a bit back in the day and remember going to the armorer class for 45's...been so long ago i don't remember to how break one all the way down...panzer guy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have wanted to build a 1911 from a blank... But it requires a bit more investment in tooling than I've been up for. I also have been thinking about taking one of the 1911 armorer's classes that I've seen offered in San Antonio. Again, expense and time has kept me from it.

      It is a lot more work than Polymer 80s... but would definitely be more interesting.

      Delete
    2. with google and youtube you can save on the class i would bet...find a good video that will help you and use vlc to download it and have it forever...panzer guy...

      Delete
  2. You can also take a 1911 completely apart without any tools.

    also, the pistol is *slim* which makes carrying the weight IWB very easy.

    -JKing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One caveat on the "no tools". Save a shell casing.

      Delete
  3. There is a new 1911 pistol out, called the Tisas Stingray, that I think has an aluminum frame. It is worth looking into if you want to have a very nice 1911 for a low cost. Less than 600$, it is a series 70 with a bobtail cut frame, what they call Novak-like sights, and it comes in 9mm.
    It has a bunch of other nice features, it is a Commander length, I believe. It comes with Cerakote finish and a flared and lowered ejection port. There are a couple of other things that are enhanced, like an ambidextrous safety, and I think the trigger guard is undercut.
    For a carry 1911, is seems like a good deal. I am one of those people who shoot the 1911 better than any other gun, but like many, I find it too heavy to carry consistently. The new Tisas I think weighs 27 oz., and I might look at one when they come to my local area. I would have to sell a different gun, to help pay for it, so I won't order it online like I have done with most of my handgun purchases. I would want to handle one before I sell another of my carry guns.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.