19 February 2023

Naked Photography

Shooting in the raw doesn't mean you don't wear clothes.

RAW photography is what it is.

It's a format that doesn't signal process your image.

It takes up more space than the jpg I'm currently using.

It would cut down the number of pictures on my card from thousands to fewer thousands.

The thing is, I don't photoshop to make my pictures better.  I just take the best image I can, in jpg, and call it good.

Yes, this will limit my skills.

I accept that.

I do not, however, condemn anyone who is shooting in RAW.

What is odd is being condemned for not shooting RAW.

I haven't needed to.  I am mostly satisfied with the pictures I'm taking and where I am lacking, it's still within the realm of the camera's settings to fix... I just need to be more adept at setting those settings and picking the right mode.

I am not, just in case it is not obvious, a professional photographer.

I'm not even a hobbiest!

But I like taking pictures.

I am impressed by the photos people who ARE shooting RAW and using photoshop to edit.  They put a lot more work into getting their shot than I do.

They're also spending a lot more money than I do because they get paid for their work.

Were I to attempt to jump from where I am to pro, I'd be investing in a better body, glass, computer and software to take the shots that someone would be willing to pay me for.

And I would, almost certainly, start shooting in RAW.

3 comments:

  1. Or depending on the camera RAW +JPEG.

    I've read a bunch of photography posts over the years that you need to have this gear, shoot exclusively in RAW, the highest resolution possible or it won't be usable for anything.

    The best advice I've read was a good JPEG now is better than hours of work trying to get a "perfect" one from a RAW.

    Most people don't care and can't tell if something took seconds or hours to accomplish.

    It's like with guns, most are way more accurate than the person shooting it. When your gun is the thing holding you back, you switch to a better one.

    So when your current photography gear/software/workflow is holding you back, change it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. with modern smart phones i haven't used my digital camera in years...it's got to be 10-12 years old...old sony...batteries probably won't even charge any more it's so old...i don't have room for pics anyway, i'm an mp3 whore...panzer guy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I took a photography class in college many decades ago, our instructor told us to compose the photo "before" you press the shutter button. Then you have much less to do in the darkroom (digital wasn't around then). But the concept is the same.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.