01 February 2023

Who Will Blink First

The clock has officially started on the 120 day "amnesty" to register your pistol braced gun as an SBR.

There's a fuck ton of, "I'm not going to register shit!" out there.

I dunno what will happen.

I think there's a strong chance that the owners will ultimately prevail in court, but...

Staring 10 years and $250k in fines in the teeth with a good chance you'll lose your dog and have your house burned down is daunting.

I know I couldn't do it.

It's why when I wanted an SBR, I paid for the stamp.

There's a lot of people who are in a tough spot from this.  They can't own an SBR because of the laws against NFA and they can't own an "assault rifle" neither.  A braced pistol based on an "assault rifle" was their only means of owning anything approaching a modern sporting rifle.

A lot of this assumes that this "amnesty" is on the level.

There's lawyers on YouTube saying they can't make heads or tails of what the BATFE has published, and that's not a good sign.

Never mind that you cannot trust them because they're too mercurial.

Today's ruling can be erased at a bureaucratic whim tomorrow.

It happens over and over.

3 comments:

  1. The BATFE's ruling is a crap sandwich that's even more crappy than normal bureucratese. I tried reading it and I swear I lost 20 IQ points. I think in order to actually track what it says and it doesn't say will require using tesseract-level tracking.

    Basically what I figured it says is "We, the BATFE, know what it says and it says whatever we mean."

    Or, as Admiral Akbar would say after reading it, "It's a Trap!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, if I could eat popcorn (can't due to diverticulitis), I'd be buttering it right now. Anyway, as I've said before, none of my AR pistols have ever had anything but an unadorned buffer tube on them. I'm fine with them for what they are. However I do hope that BATFE gets a swift kick in the mouth on this one. I'm not that optimistic that will happen or that they'd learn anything from it. I probably still won't go out and buy braces even if it gets overturned. I might not even put stocks on if SBR were removed from NFA, which is as you've mentioned, really what should happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These thoughts from Michael Z Williamson's site seem on point:
    https://www.michaelzwilliamson.com/cms/index.php

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.