06 November 2023

Economy

GM Displacement on Demand motors are, apparently, a ticking time-bomb.

What fails is the lifters on the four cylinders that allow the cylinder deactivation.

They are $43.79 each and I'd need eight if I was to replace them as preventative maintenance.

The stuff I need to replace as part of the job of gaining access is another $214.79.

For a total of: $565.11.

Lore says that this fix is good for 50 to 90 thousand miles.

OR

I can delete the DoD and perk up the motor with a slightly hotter cam.

Kits seem to start at about $1,000.  Plus $100 to deactivate the DOD electronics.  Perhaps more to tune the motor to perfectly match the cam, but there are several choices the PCM's stock programming handles just fine.

Going with a milder cam and keeping up with maintenance means I can prolly get...  Lots of miles from the DOD delete.

The thing is...  There are documented pick-up engines with 300k miles on them with the original lifters still running fine.

I am far more nervous about the cheap ass needle bearings in the rocker arm trunnions than the springy lifters.

6 comments:

  1. 2017 Chevrolet Silverado with 5.7L engine lifters and valves replaced twice luckily I had extended warranty. Bought Range AFM/DFM Disabler so far so good runs in 8 cylinder with minimal loss of gas mileage. Roadapple

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to pass a buddy the money for the credits on his HP Tuners and disable the DOD and see what that does to my mileage. I keep reading that DOD is just a marginal improvement anyways.

      Delete
    2. You couldn't get a 5.7 in '17. Perhaps you're thinking 5.3? Also, none of the 5.7 LS motors came with AFM or DOD.

      Delete
    3. Angus you are correct this engine is a 5.3L not 5.7L.

      Delete
    4. I figured it was the "five something" and the fingers disobeying the brain.

      Delete
  2. My 2013 Silverado 5.3 has 200k and the only problem I've had is the upper ball joints and for some reason (I think the audio head tries to eject a CD when it's off) likes to run down the battery on occasion.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.