03 November 2023

Well They Do Look Cool

My experience with bullpup rifles is limited.

I got to do a demo-fire of am H&K G.11 prototype when cross training with the West Germans.

I got to handle an FAMAS and an L85A1 when we went to the field with the French and Brits. 

I got to handle an FN FS2000 at a Rottfest.

FuzzyGeff once owned a Bushmaster M17S.

That's the limit of my real-world experience with the things.

There's almost no reason to choose or avoid one in gaming.

I made a couple of British characters in T2K who had an L85.

FuzzyGeff once made a T2K character with a G.11.

On the whole, I don't get the allure.

The length of pull is always a bit too long.  The balance is odd.  The manual of arms is different.

Something that is for certain is the idea is polarizing.

If you like them, you like them.

If you don't...  well...

What I have noticed is damn few armies have replaced their bullpup with another one.

Interestingly, two that have are using variations of the same bullpup, the Steyr AUG.  Austria and Australia.  And here I thought they were sick of people getting them confused.

The AUG is the first bullpup to get wide adoption, way back in 1977 as the Austrian StG.77.

5 comments:

  1. The first time I saw an AUG in civilian hands was in the TV show MIAMI VICE. i believe one of the detectives who was going to engage with the Bad Guys was armed with it.

    The only time I nearly got serious and bought one was a 10/22 bullpup kit back in the 1980's. I forget who made it (I think they made a similar for the Ruger Mini-14 / 30 family) and I eventually moved on but I am a fan of short designs that are strapped on and carried to woods wander, vs. really carrying to go hunting. A Mossberg Camper in 20 gauge filled that niche.

    jrg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The scene in Jackie Brown where Ordell is lamenting the slow, illicit, sales of the AUG because nobody ever put them on screen made me laugh because it's been in lots of movies and TV shows.

      Delete
  2. It will be interesting to see where Israel goes next. The Tavor was ostensibly adopted for easier handling in vehicles and urban environments. IMI/IWI has already made a standard version of the Tavor action (Carmel) so it remains to be whether the IDF starts issuing it.
    The biggest issues I see are left handed use and speedy magazine changes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being left-handed and left-eyed, I am not fond of the concept.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some designs can swap the ejection to the other side so you benighted lefties can shoot them from the wrong shoulder without brasskake.

      Some even make it easy.

      A couple eject the brass forward.

      At least one ejects downward.

      Delete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.